These are the rules under which this site operates. They have no exceptions and no special circumstances. Failure to follow them as written will result in a warning or a ban, depending on circumstances and the discretion of staff. Read them thoroughly, reread them periodically and PM a staff member with any questions or concerns.
If you observe any of these behaviours, please report them to a staff member immediately via PM or the site report button.
We have a ZERO Tolerance Policy for Drama.
1. To be a part of this site, you must be 18 years of age or older.
This is a non-negotiable requirement, your listed age must also be your real age. If for any reason this is suspected to not be the case, you will be given the option to verify your age (Consider it a compliment, you seem young at heart). Failure to do so within 48 hours of a request will result in a ban. If you suspect an underage user, please inform a staff member.
2. Respect must be shown at all times to fellow users, to staff and to the site itself. We are all here to write. Please let cooler heads prevail and keep drama to a minimum. Failure to do so will result in a warning or ban depending on the offence. Additionally, please note:
a. We are NOT a dating site. Friendliness is encouraged, but this is not a place for relationships or relationship drama outside of Roleplays. Excessive flirtation, obsession or sexual harrassment will be dealt with strictly.b. We are also not Facebook. Personal drama, excessive angst and obvious attention seeking are not what this site is for. This also includes 'catfishing', attempting to solicit sympathy or donations through fictitious stories and all similar behaviours.c. As an anti-spam measure and a matter of respect for your fellow users, mass recruitment PMs are forbidden. If you wish to start a roleplay, either post a request thread/interest check in the CORRECT FORUM (Link) or read through and respond to ones by other users. Sending identical PMs without having read the user's request threads WILL be treated as spam.d. All Roleplay Threads and threads of solo work in the forums are limited to the creator of the thread and their partners. No other user may post there. Free joining of threads is allowed only to The Unfinished Tales forum and in the Sanctum Tavern, where OOC and casual discussions occur. Users retain all ownership of their own work and any acts of plagiarism are not permitted.
3. Characters under the age of 18 are permitted, with these major stipulations:
a. The child will NEVER be exposed in any way to sexual acts or extreme violence (the latter can be implied). This will result in an IMMEDIATE BAN. The offender will then be un-banned, just to give us the pleasure of banning them again. Seriously, DO NOT DO IT.b. The child CANNOT be the main character of the roleplay or story. Side characters only. Likewise, the existence of the child CANNOT be the central premise of the story (New Parents, Unexpected pregnancy, etc.).c. The literal age of the character is not relevent. An ancient vampire that looks 15 is considered 15. The character must also act 18—age regression, adults acting like children and similar stories are forbiddend. Any scenario that HEAVILY IMPLIES underage characters is forbidden. For example High School Roleplays are not permitted, even if you say your characters are 18. Any scenario where an under 18 character would be the logical assumption will be viewed as underage roleplay.e. Fandoms which feature underage characters are subject to these rules. Any characters underage in canon must be explcitely aged to compliance with site rules and any setting which implies underage characters must be altered or avoided (for example, replacing a magical school with a magical university)
4. No Role-playing of any kind in Private Messages (PMs). If you have questions about appropriate forums, ask a staff member. PM is for OOC (out of character) chat and conversation ONLY. We reserve the right to monitor all private messages to ensure compliance with this and other site policies.
5. No Bestiality. Furries, anthros and weres are okay, as long as they are able to speak and think like a human, as well as maintaining at least a partially human appearance. Animal shapeshifters are okay if they shift to human.
6. All public content; Signatures, Avatars, Thread and Profile covers, Usernames, Intro posts and so on, must be appropriate and in compliance with site policies. Pornography, images which violate site rules, excessive vulgarity, hate speech, images depicting underage seeming characters and so on are subject to removal without notice, requests for change from staff members and site discipline for repeated or severe offences.
7. Do not post, share or ask for any personal information outside of PMs. In PMs, you can share Email and Skype contacts, nothing more.
a. These are permitted only for sharing in established conversations for the purpose of offsite OOC or conversation. Recruiting exclusively for offsite roleplays is not allowed, as we cannot monitor these and they frequently lead to off site harassment. Likewise, we do not allow sending or asking for contact details without established conversation.b. The Sanctum cannot monitor or police off-site interactions. We are not responsible for any off-site issues resulting from contact information being shared and the act of sharing contact information should be treated as happening at your own risk.c. If you wish to share any other service, ask a staff member first. There are several we consider as blacklisted due to an abundance of underage users (Including Discord and KIK).
8. To limit data usage for mobile users and visual distractions for others, large images in signatures must be put inside a spoiler. GIFs are forbidden sitewide in all public locations. Please - USE YOUR SPOILER!
9. Do not link to outside content or sites unless it is compliant with all site policies. If you aren't sure, contact a staff member first. Links to other roleplay sites or servers are forbidden. If your Character Sheet or world are on another site, you can post the content from them in this forum.
10. Confine all Role-plays which are PREMISED around Sex to The Forbidden Sanctum forums. Other sections may contain sexual content, but it cannot be the central premise of the plot. When in doubt, assume it goes in The Forbidden Sanctum - or ask a staff member.
11. All users are permitted a single account. Secondary accounts are forbidden. If you made any mistake in the setup of your account regarding your username or personal information, contact an admin to have it remedied. If your friend, spouse, roommate, significant other or anyone else who is likely to have matching IPs (connecting to the same WiFi usually causes this) wishes to make an account here, please contact administrators ahead of time to let us know so we do not mistake their account for a secondary account of yours.
12. Do not spam the Profile wall. Greetings should be done primarily through PMs and Introduction threads, anything longer than the character limit should be continued as a comment on the same post. Consecutive posts by the same user will see all but the first removed unless posted at least 1 hour apart.
13. The Staff have FINAL say in the interpretation of these rules. If they say you are breaking them, arguing is the fastest way to escalate a warning into a ban. We want things to be handled amicably whenever possible and are willing to explain our policies and the reasons for them—but that does not mean you have wiggle room when you’re told you’re doing something wrong.
When in doubt, ask the Staff.
We're happy to help and we'd rather provide you clarification now than have to ban you later.
1. General chat is for general discussion. The Forbidden Sanctum chat is for open discussions of adult topics and light roleplay (If you wouldn't do it in a crowded room, don't do it here). The Sanctum Confessional is for ranting, venting and mature discussions of controversial topics. Staff will redirect any conversations which seem unsuited for the room they are occurring in.
2. No Harassment, Creepiness, Temper Tantrums, interpersonal drama or melodrama. If the staff feel you behaviour toward another user crosses the line, you are subject to either a warning or removal from the room, at their discretion. Any and all Ranting, whining, complaining or melodrama, as well as any discussion that is becoming too heated, should be redirected to the "Sanctum Confessional" room. Chat is intended as a lighthearted feature everyone is able to enjoy, please keep it that way.
3. Whispers are subject to viewing by staff and rules will be enforced there. They are not for extended private conversations, as they make it difficult to monitor chat. Any exchange more than a few messages long should be handled in PM. Do not use it as a place for Roleplay OCC. Proposing one is fine, but it should be moved to PM as soon as it is agreed to.
4. No sharing of personal information, including Skype or email. This includes in whispers.
5. The Sanctum Confessional is the ONLY place where ranting, arguing and excessive complaining is permitted. It is also a good choice for any discussion that is likely getting too heated. However, we expect all users to show respect at all times. Attack the argument, not the arguer and if things get personal, leave or inform staff. Do not escalate.
6. Rules are subject to change and Staff interpretation. Our one and only goal is to make chat an enjoyable addition to this site. If we feel your behaviour is in contravention to this principle, you will be asked to change it or be removed. If you feel another User is acting inappropriately, message our staff.
For any clarification of these policies, please contact an admin.
For any clarification of these policies, please contact an admin.